Tuesday 8 May 2012

Briochey pork loaf


In my fridge I had a tub of garlic mayonnaise that I had been making before realising it contained raw egg and that a pregnant friend couldn't eat it. It had then partly separated out into an eggy mayo and olive oil as I didn't finish beating it. But what to do with it, I hate waste and like to make the most of everything so I decided to do a variation of brioche pastry (without the sugar ) to wrap round  a pork meatloaf.
I started with 300grams of spelt flour, I prefer spelt flour to wheat flour, its less bloaty and indeed tastier than wheat. added the garlic mayo mush which contained four beaten egg yolks, a clove of garlic and 200mls of olive oil. In a separate bowl I mixed 150mls of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar and one of yeast, it doesn't take long to get going and when there was a nice foam on the top I poured it into  the flour mix and kneaded with my dough hook on the Kenwood for about 5 minutes. It was then covered and left on the table for about seven hours, its taken me years to go for the long slow raise when baking any kind of bread rather than the warm place and doubled in size as quickly as possible. The long, slow raise gives a much better flavour.
In a frying pan I heated a little olive oil and then fried a finely chopped onion, four chopped sun dried tomatoes and two large handfuls of mushrooms. (For a fine chop I whizz the lot in a food processor, just quicker and easier than with a knife!)  They need cooking till the fragrance really starts to come out and then add a glass of red wine and leave to reduce.Then add thyme and parsley and leave to cool.
When I was ready to throw it all together I kneaded the dough again and rolled it out thinly, lining my grannies old loaf tin. I then mixed the mushroomey mix with 250grams of minced pork and an egg, poured the whole lot into the pastry case and closed it all up like a little bed. Into the oven at 180 degrees for 45 minutes. The smell of it cooking was fabulous and I couldn't resist opening the oven door quite often to see if it was ready!
I tipped it out and cut into it, the juices had been held in and it was moistly delicious with a moist crust. We served it with roast vegetables.
I have to say its even better cold the next day!


2 comments: