Thursday 18 April 2013

Mother in Laws Birthday part 3 -Strawberry ice cream

We are having three desserts on Sunday and this is the first.
It could have been done ages ago but there were two very large salmon filling the freezer. As they came out today my favourite ice cream could be made. This is so easy and soooooooooo delicious I have to restrain myself from eating it before any one else does. It only works with strawberries though, there must be some alchemy with the acidity and the sugar, but who knows and actually I  think I want to keep the delicious mystery!
Two punnets of strawberries were hulled and finely chopped and then frozen. I should have frozen them on a tray but there was no room so they were crammed in to a plastic pot. Tonight they were removed and as they had frozen into a big lump, bashed with a rolling pin till they were back in bits. These were then whizzed in the food processor with two tablespoons of vanilla sugar, normal sugar is fine with a bit of vanilla essence but I made the vanilla sugar weeks ago and just had to use it. (Its a vanilla pod in a jar of sugar; nothing too taxing, and left for a few weeks.)Then when all pureed 1/2 litre of double (heavy) cream is poured in and whizzed again. Before your eyes it will change to baby pink ice cream as if by magic. When I was given the recipe I was very sceptical by this stage, but just wait! Taste it and enjoy a piece of heaven before popping in to the freezer.  The joy is no need to rewhizz after an hour or so , it is ready to go!


Maybe I just need to recheck it! nom, nom, nom ,nom!
And the price £3.00 for about 1 kilo.

1 comment:

  1. This look lovely, I will be giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete