Tuesday 28 February 2012

Eggs not Benedict

Like most of the food from a small kitchen this started out as 'Eggs Benedict' but then morphed into my version Necessity is the mother of invention after all!. We call it 'Eggs Moley'.
So the original version has  a base of muffins but I prefer crumpets,
The original has no veg in it and we need veg , so spinach goes on top of the crumpets.
The original has ham but I didn't have any but I did have some vegeburgers!
The poached eggs remain the same!
The original has
Hollandase sauce but i don't really like it so a roux sauce with cheese and mustard.
Easy!
Pop the burgers under the grill for 10 minutes , don't forget to turn them after 5 when you pop the crumpets under too. Pour boiling water over the spinach just to wilt it , I can't bear that horrid green overcooked mush!
Poach the eggs one egg per crumpet. I do them in my egg poacher because it reminds me of poached eggs when I was a child! About 5 minutes !
To make the sauce put 1 tablespoon of butter or marj in a pan and melt, add a tablespoon of flour and stir for about a minute, add 1/2 pint of milk and bring back to the boil whilst whisking  add a teaspoon of prepared mustard and a handful of grated cheese.
Place the buttered crumpets on a plate, spinach on top, burgers on top of that, eggs on top of that, sauce on top of that.  A sprinkle of black pepper .
Yum, yum, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment